Who Are You?

By Tshering Chekii - March 28, 2015


I am not good at remembering the faces and names of the people I meet. I forget easily, it’s not that I am doing it deliberately, but I just can’t help it. Every time, I go to town, I bump into a person or two who seems to know me, but I am like ‘hit me on my head’ I can’t remember you or ‘you look so familiar but sorry I can’t fix the missing puzzle of where’. To save embarrassment, I act like an old friend “Yeah! What are you doing here? Me? I study here at CST. Ata, he is in India. I am fine. See you …blah blah blah.” Most of the people I meet know my brother because we have studied together till 12. It’s more of like, I am ‘Tshewang Lhendup’s sister rather than Tshering Cheki.’ ***wink*** I don’t blame my brother for being famous… just envy him. Just kidding… he must be fuming reading this and muttering at the moment “What this Youngmin is writing?”

Ok… coming to the point without much stretching. Way back in second semester, I along with friends, went to eat dinner at Peljorling Hotel. While waiting impatiently for dinner to be served, a guy dropped by our table and talked to us. I thought he was their friend only to realize he was talking to me. ‘Who is he?’ struck me, but I didn’t let it show on my face. Yeah… he also happens to know my brother, definitely asking about his whereabouts and all. On a good note, he left, at least what I thought.

“Who is he?” friends asked me. “I don’t know…. I don’t remember.” I said.
“What an actor? You candidly talked with him.” They pulled my legs.
“I have to be. I am very bad with memories. I just can’t get who is who and all. But I am sure that I haven’t seen him before.” I told them.

“Ouch! What is wrong with you?” I screeched, when a friend pinched me real hard.

I was facing them; they just acted like their cell phones suddenly became really interesting as they got engrossed exploring it.

“What?” I asked in an irritated tone, giving them ‘are you guys out of your mind look’.

A friend sitting next to me nudged on my arm hinting me to look back. Cold-heartedly I looked back just to find him and his friends behind us. He politely smiled at me, no doubt he heard whole nonsense, I talked minutes before.

Awkward! I felt like vanishing from there or at least hide under the table just to save embarrassment. I don’t know how the food tasted, just remembered that my ear was burning hot with embarrassment.  That was just an introduction of hundred more stories of the same kind.

Last time when I went to town, I was waiting for a friend near J.P Centre when a guy stopped by me and said “Hi! Tshering……………”

Oh God! Not again, don’t let me cross my path with the people I don’t remember but they do. I heard myself reply, “Ata, he is fine and he will be graduating next year.”

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments